Monday 8 July 2013

DT Project #1 showcasing JoFY stamps for PaperArtsy (by Lesley)

Hello Everyone,

Wow, July already and half way through 2013.  Eek!  At my age that is seriously scary how fast the time is whizzing by but at least as I type this we finally have some SUMMER!!!!  

This month we lucky Snazzy's DTers have some fab summery stamps to play with from the new JoFY for PaperArtsy release.  I love these quirky fun stamps (HERE) and the main set I was sent to work with are JoFY13.  Lots of lovely daisies on this set and daisies always bring a smile to my face, even if they're in the middle of my lawn, lol!

I decided to decorate a treasure chest shaped wooden box (Snazzy's have a lovely selection of substrates).


I've mainly used Fresco Finish acrylic paints to colour the box because these are the type of which I have the most colours but Snazzy's carry a lovely range of acrylic paints too.  Firstly I removed the hinges and fastener and gave the outside of the box a coat of Claret. Once dry I gave it a liberal coat of Fresco Crackle Glaze and here's where I made my first mistake, lol!  I tried to do too much of the box at one go (too impatient!) and (second mistake) I put the glaze on too thick so the it ran down and congealed in thick lumps in many areas.  So much so that I had to peel it off and start again. ..... good lessons learned there.  After that I did one section at a time and let it dry which took me a couple of days to do all the top and all four sides of the bottom.  Because the top is curved I tried not to put too thick a layer on but it still ran to the edges a little bit.  Anyway, I then gave it a coat of Vintage Lace and got a gorgeous all over crackle effect ..... was worth all the faffing about, lol!


Next I started the stamping which was all done with black Archival ink and coloured with watered down Fresco Finish paint.  I've not tried colouring stamped images with acrylic paint before and need a lot more practice but for this particular project I didn't want a perfect paint job so it was ok. The 'don't eat the daisies' phrase and the quote on the top both come from JoFY12 set.


I stamped the dragonfly onto some card from my bit box that I'd made a lovely mica ink background on and again onto a piece of acetate I'd coloured with alcohol inks, cut them both out and layered them attaching just the bodies and the same when attaching to the box.


I had already given the inside a coat of Vintage Lace around the sides, then I cut two pieces of card to fit the bottom and the top, painted them with the same colour, and stamped and coloured as per the outside before gluing them in with Cosmic Shimmer glue.  Finally I reattached the hinges and fastener.

And there you have it!

Don't forget to leave a comment on Gillian's post HERE if you want to be in the random draw for some of these stamps.  I'll be back later in the week with another project but till then


30 comments:

Suzanne C said...

What a lovely summery box! love the pretty flowers and of course the gorgeous dragonfly! Beautiful!

Rita said...

What a fabulous box Lesley. Those stamps are lovely and I must go and have a look. Hugs Rita xxx

Helen said...

This looks amazing, Lesley - I have one of these boxes, I may give it the Fresco treatment!

G Peplow said...

Beautiful box, I love the crackle effect and the bright dragonfly is wonderful as a 3D accent, great job!

Astrid Maclean said...

Wonderful box, love all the crackle and great use of those stamps!!

Redanne said...

Oh what a fabulous box - the crackling is just gorgeous and those new stamps are to die for - now must haves for my growing collection. Beautiful work! Hugs, Anne x

veronica said...

looks lovely Lesley - not stamps I would have bought, but love the dragonfly (and the owls on Gillian's post) - think I'm being won over!
Hope your troubles are finally getting sorted out.
xxx

Paula Whittaker said...

oh wow those stamps really do suit your style - what a stunning project Lesley.

Aquarius said...

This box is delightful - a stunning project. Thanks for sharing the details too.

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

What a stunning box Lesley, such a beautiful gift idea. I love the stamps you've used.

Sue x

Suzi B said...

An adorable box Lesley, love the way you've used these stamps..
Suzi B x

Beryl said...

This is so gorgeous Lesley - well worth the time it took and a great learning curve by the sounds of it too.
Beryl xx

Minxy said...

Oh you have used the stamps wonderfully, this box is just super cute, and I love the inside too xo

Netty said...

Loving your gorgeous and delicate box, fab work Lesley, Annette x

Craftyfield said...

It's gorgeous, love the light, bright colour scheme, very cheerful.

snazzyoriginal said...

Love this box. The intensity of the colours on the lid contrasting with the subtle colours of the crackle and, as ever, the attention to detail with the matching lining inside xx

rachel said...

this is just fabulous - loving the JOFY stamps more and more xx

Rebecca said...

Lovely Lesley...patience is a virtue :)
Happy craftin
Rebecca

Craftychris said...

ooh this is stunning! I have one set of Jofy stamps and I think I need more xx

judith@poppy cottage said...

A gorgeous box, great mix of stamps and lovely sayings. Love your colour choices Buddy, hugs, Judith xx

Anonymous said...

So pretty!! I love the colours you used, the crackle turned out great & the scalloped edging is a lovely addition.

Paula (PEP) said...

The colours you used look absolutely wonderful & I love the very shabby chic effect you created with the crackle. The detail on the inside is quite magical & I love the way taht dragonfly is just taking off from the top.
Paula (PEP)

Val said...

Fabulous p[iece of work Lesley, great crackle details. Although the stamps are quirky, the way you have used them also makes the whole thing quite delicate. Love, love, love it.

Valxx

Elaine said...

What a great box Lesley. Fab use of these fun stamps. I love the lid and the dragonfly preparing for lift off! Great also to see decoration inside the box. A lovely project my friend. Elaine xxx

Words and Pictures said...

What an absolute beauty, Lesley! Perfect crackle background - totally worth all the effort! - and such pretty colours throughout. I love the little scene on the top, and delicious on the inside too! LOVE it.
Alison x

Carol Q said...

ooh Lesley - an absolute stunner!

Sarah B said...

this is lovely Lesley xx

Jude said...

What a fabulous creation Lesley, love the design and colours.

Hugs
Judex


Gillian .... said...

Lovely bright and fun project Lesley, perfect combination of stamped images and paints. xx

Lin said...

This is gorgeous Lesley..I love it!!